Day 10: My Son Sanctuary

By: Shania

25, tháng 5

Our morning started off with a bus ride to My son Sanctuary. This is one of the 1,157 UNESCO world heritage sites throughout the world. My Son Sanctuary is a site of the ruins of an Indian Hinduism temple developed in Vietnam. When it was being utilized, it was mainly used for religion and the political capital of Champa Kingdom.

A link is attached if you’d like to read more about My Son Sanctuary. 

https://whc.unesco.org/en/list/949/

Once back from My Son Sanctuary we had a little break at the hotel. Some of us enjoyed the pool and some of us took a needed nap. We were back on our feet and started our night with the walking tour of Hoi An. We first stopped at a CaoDai Temple. It had an eye in the middle of the building which means it was welcoming of all religions. Once inside the building you could see the different religions represented. Next, we went to the assembly hall for the Chinese community. After this we headed to the Japanese Bridge. This bridge originally symbolized the divide between the Japanese and Chinese and they utilized this for trading. Then we headed to a Vietnamese Chapel. Inside they taught us about Japanese, Chinese, and Vietnamese architecture used within the building. We also learned about Yin and Yang and how they use two Yin and Yang coins to make wishes. You throw the coins into a bowl and if you get a yin and a yang your wish will come true. You have three chances to achieve this or your wish won’t come true.

We took a break from learning and stopped for a Banh Mi. Lastly, We stopped at a well known tailor shop “Blue Eye”. Five people from our group got things tailored from this shop. We ended the night shopping for last minute souvenirs in Hoi An.

My Son Sanctuary
Cao Dai Temple

Learning inside the Vietnamese Chapel

Last minute souvenir shopping in Hoi An